Change Vehicle Registration Name

Texas vehicle registration requirement laws are strict regarding name changes. You’re required to change your vehicle registration as soon as you as you change your name whether you get married and take your new spouse’s name or you divorce a spouse and return to your maiden name. The process begins with the Social Security Administration. Once you update the SSA and your new last name is official, you may begin the process of obtaining a new license and taking care of the vehicle registration requirement.


Visit the Local Tax Assessor

You will not receive any new registration documentation when you update your name with the DMV. The only time you will receive a new registration for your vehicle is when it’s time to renew it and the information will show your new name. If you are pulled over or required to present your registration at any other point prior to renewal, the information might not appear on your physical registration card but it is online and easily accessible by any law enforcement officer.

You must first download, print, and fill out an Application for Texas Title Form 130-U to show your new name. This form can be obtained in person at the local DMV in Texas, or it can be obtained online. Once it’s filled out, you’ll need to include a letter that tells the DMV why your name has changed as well as all your pertinent vehicle information. You’ll also need to provide the tax assessor with a copy of your name change document. It must be a certified copy of your marriage license, divorce decree, or a court order permitting a legal name change.

You must have in hand a copy of your original title when you show up. The cost of changing the name on your registration varies by the county as does accepted payment methods. You want to contact your local DMV to ask them what you should bring to use as payment and how much you need to pay to change your personal information.


Additional Changes

If you are changing your name, there’s a good chance you’re also changing your address. Not everyone moves once they get married or divorced, but you should know what to do to make this process simpler. It costs $11 to change your address with the DPS. All you need is the Application for Change of Address for the state. You can fill it out and submit it along with your credit card information online or mail it with a check to the DPS.

You have 30 days to change your address or name to meet all the vehicle registration requirements in place. If you don’t move, there is no reason you need to update your address, but you do need to change your name. You’ll need to change it with several other entities as well. You’ll need to renew your passport, your name with the USPS, your insurance company, your bank accounts, and you’ll need to update your name with the Internal Revenue Service.

To make the name changing process simpler, it’s helpful to create a list of all the entities you’re required to notify and handle all of it at the same time. The Social Security Administration must be notified first. Until you have an updated name with them, you cannot update your new name with anyone else. Once you receive the official paperwork changing your name with the SSA, you can mail or fill out online forms with every other entity on your list.

It’s imperative you do not wait to file any of this information with any of the appropriate entities. Failing to change your name legally can cause some unfortunate consequences, and it can cause you some future headache when you’re working on things like buying a home or updating your address when you move. It’s not the most fun part of the marriage process, though it might be more fun if you’re finally divorced. However, it’s imperative you do this and you do it within the legal timeframe. It’s easier to handle it now and make sure it’s all been filed correctly than it is to wait and deal with it later.